Why become a Medium member?
- Get unlimited, ad-free access to all the stories on Medium
Once you become a member, you will be able to read every story published on the platform—including those behind the metered paywall. Those are the stories marked with a star icon ⭐ on the preview. Every week, writers publish thousands of new stories for members on Medium.
- Support your favorite writers
When you read a story for members, a portion of your membership fee goes directly to the author through the Medium Partner Program. This way, Medium membership lets you support your favorite writers and helps them earn money.
Start your subscription
- Go to medium.com/membership and click Upgrade.
- Choose your subscription plan ($50/year or $5/month.)
- Choose the payment method. You can subscribe using your credit card or PayPal.
- Enter your credit card details and click Start my membership or click PayPal Checkout to subscribe with PayPal.
- In the app, tap your profile picture on the bottom bar.
- Tap the three-dot button in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Become a member.
- Choose your subscription plan ($50/year or $5/month) and confirm.
Want to gift a subscription to friends or family? Click here to learn more.
Medium membership can be canceled at any time from your Settings page, or from App Store for subscriptions purchased through the Medium iOS app and Google Play Store for Android.
When you cancel, you will still be able to use all your membership benefits until the the end of the billing cycle. Learn more about cancellations.
Yes. To learn how to receive an invoice for your membership subscription, see this article.
Certain credit and debit cards are unable to initiate recurring charges based on geographical banking restrictions. As this is a banking regulation, it is beyond our control. We encourage you to contact your bank, verify if this restriction is applied to your bank account, and work directly with them to find resolution.
To work around this restriction, you can buy a gift subscription and send it to your own email address. The gift subscription costs $50 and works just like a regular annual subscription, but it's a one-time charge rather than a recurring one. This means you should be able to buy it using a credit/debit card that does not support recurring payments.
When you become a member of Medium, our payment provider Stripe may make a temporary authorization of $1 to verify validity of the card. This temporary authorization will be credited back to you, and not charged.
In-app purchases such as Medium membership are not covered by Family Sharing. Learn more here.