Text-to-speech allows you to listen to stories on Medium, voiced by a computer-generated voice.
You must have a Medium account with an active membership subscription in order to listen to stories. Learn more about becoming a Medium member.
To listen to a story, click the Listen button below the story title.
Once you press Listen, you will see a pop-up window in the bottom-right corner where you can pause, play, and rewind the recording. Additionally, you can:
- Click the Voice button to pick one of several AI voices available.
- Click the Playback speed button to adjust the speed.
To listen to a story, click the Listen button at the top of the screen.
Once you tap Listen, the player will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. From there, you can play and pause the audio. If you tap on it, it will be expanded in full-screen, allowing you to:
- Tap the 1X button to adjust the speed.
- Tap the Share button to share the story.
- Tap the ellipsis button to access additional options, including the voice selection.
Medium will factor listen time into the payout calculations during this experiment for eligible writers with metered stories. Eligible writers whose posts have been listened to will see a positive adjustment in their earnings after the end of the month. The adjustment will appear as a one-time engagement bonus.