I am a nonresident alien. Do I need to include a TIN or claim treaty benefits?

Even if you are not a US taxpayer, Medium still requires a taxpayer identification number (TIN) in order to validate your taxpayer information as approved to earn through the Partner Program.

You may still earn in the Partner Program without claiming a treaty benefit on your W-8 taxpayer form. However, if you reside in one of the countries listed below, please take a moment to re-submit your W-8 form and select your country of residence under the section “Claim of Treaty Benefits (Part II)”. Watch this screencast if you run into any issues completing this section of the form. 

To learn more, please see our FAQ answer “Will a portion of my earnings be withheld for US taxes?"

List of countries

Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria,
Canada, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Mexico, Malta, Moldova, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela

Note: The above answer applies for payments issued between 1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019. We will communicate any updates for tax year 2020 by Jan. 1, 2020.

Note: We are not able to give advice on how or when you should file your taxes. We recommend that you contact a tax professional for any questions or recommendations.

Was this article helpful?
Have more questions? Submit a request