To enroll in the Medium Partner Program and receive payouts from Medium, you will need to create or connect a free Stripe account.
At all times you must maintain an active, connected Stripe account that is able to receive payouts through our Program. If your account is not active or not able to receive payouts through our Program, after 180 days, you will forfeit any and all accumulated earnings that have not yet been paid out.
Countries supported in the Program
Currently, enrollment in the Partner Program is only available in the following countries:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Gibraltar, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Should you be accepted into the Partner Program, during the enrollment process, agree to Stripe's Terms of Service.
- Choose to create a Stripe Standard account. This type of account will be the best choice if you reside outside the US or if you would like to also use Stripe for services other than Medium.
(Please note: Stripe requires either SMS or the Google Authenticator app for Two Factor Authorization, both of which usually require a mobile device.)
- Fill out the fields to activate your Stripe account. You MUST use your legal name to create your Stripe account. It is fine to use a pen name on Medium, but Stripe can't verify and pay you unless you use your legal name.
About your Stripe Standard account
- While Stripe may have additional supported countries including those available in beta or preview mode, Medium is currently only able to support our list of eligible countries.
- Requires either SMS or the Google Authenticator app for Two Factor Authorization.
- Can only be used to transfer payouts to bank accounts. Debit cards are not supported.
- Accessed directly with a password.
- A single account of this type can be used for multiple services, and not just Medium. The account can be managed through the Stripe Dashboard.
Frequently Asked Questions
Note that some of the fields in the form (marked with •) are optional. If you believe they do not apply to you, leave them blank.
Yes! To sign into your existing Stripe account, during the Stripe account creation process, if you are not redirected to the login screen, click Sign-in in the upper-right corner of the sign-up form.
Medium cannot modify the details of your Stripe account. To change your email address, contact Stripe Support.
You can always change those details by logging into Stripe Dashboard.
All such deletion requests are initiated and completed directly with Stripe.
When signing up to Stripe, you might have entered your company name as your individual name. This leads to a mismatch in automatic verification.
Contact Stripe to let them know about this issue and they should be able to resolve it manually.