Enrolling to the Medium Partner Program is the first step to earning revenue on your Medium stories
Enrolling in the Program
To join the Medium Partner Program, all you need to do is to link your Medium account with your bank account or debit card via Stripe. You'll find more information below.
- Go to medium.com/creators and click Join the Partner Program at the bottom of the page.
- Read and accept the Partner Program Terms.
- Connect your bank account or debit card with your Medium account by choosing the option relevant to you from the list and click Set up payments on Stripe.
- Fill out all the information required by Stripe to create your Stripe account. You must use your legal name, and not anonymized or pen names. To learn more about choosing the right type of Stripe account to your needs and setting up payments, see this article.
- Finish creating your Stripe account.
Once you enroll in the Partner Program, you will be able to publish stories on your own and start earning money from them. To learn how to make your story eligible to earn money, read this article.
Starting November 1, 2019, Partner Program writers will be paid monthly based on how much time Medium members spend reading their stories. We’re always working to improve our model as we learn. Initially, we will calculate earnings based on two components:
- How long members spend reading your story. As Medium members spend more time reading your story (“member reading time”), you’ll earn more. When we calculate your story’s earnings, we’ll also include reading time from non-members if they subscribe to Medium within 30 days of reading your story.
- How much of their monthly reading time members spend on your story. By calculating a share of member reading time, we support authors who write about unique topics and connect with loyal readers. For example, if last month a member spent 10% of their monthly reading time on your story, you will receive 10% of their share (a portion of their subscription fee).
Imagine an author writes about fly fishing. She finds an audience of fly fishing enthusiasts who subscribe to Medium primarily to read her stories, meaning she receives a strong share of reading time from each of her readers. In contrast, a generalist author might receive smaller shares from his readers, who also read a variety of other authors. The fly fisher can earn relatively more through the share calculation, even with a smaller audience.
Check out this section to learn more about recent Partner Program updates.
Your Partner Dashboard is updated every day. We deposit your earnings into your bank account on the last Wednesday of every calendar month. Earnings are updated every day. We use UTC days, meaning we include all earnings from activity during midnight UTC to 11:59 PM UTC. Earnings are then updated within a few hours.
We will aim to update your story stats page within 6-12 hours of the close of the “day,” meaning typically between 11:00pm PST and 5:00am PST.