To change your payment method for your membership subscription, you'll need to:
- Cancel your ongoing subscription
- Once your current billing cycle is over and the subscription expires, set up a new subscription with your payment method of choice
Step 1: Cancel your ongoing subscription
You can cancel your subscription at any time. Once you cancel, you will still be able to use all your membership benefits until the the end of the billing cycle. For more information, see Paid Terms.
- On your desktop computer, go to your Settings page and scroll down to the Membership section.
- Click Cancel your membership.
If you don't see the option to cancel your membership
If there's no option to cancel your membership subscription in your Settings, this means that the account you're currently signed in to does not have a subscription attached.
Here's what you need to do to sign in to your member account:
- Sign out of the account you are currently using. To sign out, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the page and choose Sign out from the menu.
- Request a sign in link to the email address associated with your membership account. On the Medium homepage, click Sign in in the top-right corner, choose Sign in with email, then enter your email address and click Continue.
- Go to your inbox, open the email and click the Sign in to Medium link.
Note: If you purchased your membership through iTunes or Google Play Store, you'll need to cancel your subscription directly through that service.
- On your phone or tablet, go to your phone's Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.
- Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Tap View Apple ID. You might need to sign in or use Touch ID.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Tap Medium membership from the list.
- Tap Cancel subscription.
Note: Uninstalling the app or deleting your Medium account will not automatically cancel your membership subscription purchased through iTunes. You must cancel your subscription via iTunes to end the subscription. If you uninstall the app or delete the account without canceling your membership, you will still be charged.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap the sidemenu icon ☰.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Choose the Medium subscription.
- Tap Cancel.
Note: Uninstalling the app or deleting your Medium account will not automatically cancel your membership subscription purchased through the Google Play Store. You must cancel your subscription via the Google Play Store to end the subscription. If you uninstall the app or delete the account without canceling your membership, you will still be charged.
Step 2: Set up your new subscription
- Go to medium.com/membership and click Upgrade.
- Choose your membership plan.
- Choose the payment method. You can use your credit card or PayPal.
- Enter your credit card details and click Start my membership or click PayPal Checkout to become a member with PayPal.
- In the app, tap your profile picture on the bottom bar.
- Tap the three-dot button in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Become a member.
- Choose your subscription plan and confirm.