If you have purchased a membership subscription on Medium, and you’re unable to access members-only stories and features on all or some of your devices, this guide will help you troubleshoot this issue.
I purchased a subscription but I don’t have member access
Step 1: Find your primary Medium account
Make sure that you know what accounts you have created on Medium and how to access them. You can find your other Medium account in multiple ways:
- If you have a membership subscription, check all your email inboxes and try to find the email titled "Thank you for becoming a member". If you are able to find that email, it means that your membership Medium account is associated with that email address.
- Check if you can find any other emails from Medium in your email inboxes. If you have received emails from Medium to a specific inbox, it means that you have an account associated with that email address.
Step 2: Sign in to your primary account
If you know which of your email addresses is associated with your primary Medium account, you will need to sign out of your existing account and sign in to your primary account instead.
- On your homepage, click on your profile picture.
- Click Sign out.
- On the Medium homepage, click Sign in in the top-right corner.
- Choose Sign in with email.
- Enter the email address of your primary account and click Continue.
- Go to your inbox and open the verification email.
- Click Sign in to Medium in the email to be redirected to Medium and signed in to your account.
- In the app, tap your profile picture on the bottom bar.
- Tap the three-dot button in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Sign out.
- Tap Sign in with email.
- Enter the email address of your primary account and tap Continue.
- Go to your inbox on your device and open the verification email.
- Tap Sign in to Medium in the email to be redirected to Medium and signed in to your account.
My membership subscription purchased through iTunes is not recognized
To restore your membership subscription purchased through iTunes:
- In the Medium iOS app, go to the You tab (👤).
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Restore purchase.
Once you tap the button, the subscription should properly connect to your Medium account, and you should receive an email from membership welcome email from Medium.
Error restoring purchase
If tapping the Restore purchase button results in the Error restoring purchase message, it means that the Medium membership purchased through iTunes was purchased using another Medium account.
To resolve this problem, you would need to sign out of the account you're currently signed in to, and sign in to the account from which you made the purchase. If you still have problems with your subscription, tapping Restore purchase from that account should properly connect your subscription with your Medium account.
My membership subscription purchased through Google Play Store is not recognized
If you’re not able to access your membership immediately after purchase, try restarting the Medium app. This should force it to refresh its data and correctly recognize your membership subscription.
If you have any problems with resolving any of these issues, please don’t hesitate to let us know.