Shortform on Medium is considered as posts that are 150 words or less.
If you write a post that is 150 words or less, Medium will automatically classify that as shortform content. (You can check your word count by highlighting all the text in your draft or edit mode, and the word count will appear in the top left corner.)
How is shortform content displayed on your feeds?
If your post is metered behind the paywall:
- If your post is metered behind our paywall and is longer than 30 words, it will have a “read more” link in profile and publication preview feeds. The preview will contain the first 30 words of the post.
- If your post is metered behind our paywall and 30 words or less, the entire post will appear in profile and publication preview feeds, and there will be no “read more” link unless the post has a title, in which case the title will be clickable. Additionally, readers can click the publish date to open the full post. (We do not recommend trying to monetize posts that are less than 30 words).
- If your post is metered behind our paywall and contains an image, it will display the featured image with the title over the image, will have no text preview, and will have a "read more" link.
If your post is not metered behind the paywall:
- If the post is not metered behind our paywall, the entire post will appear in profile and publication preview feeds, and there will be no “read more” link.
- If a post is not metered behind our paywall and contains primarily images, it will display the featured image and have a “read more” link
Stats and Partner Program earnings for your shortform content
- If your post is metered behind our paywall, it will not generate Member Reading Time and earn money for any profile or publication feed views, regardless if it shows the “read more” link or not. It will only capture Member Reading Time and earn money when a paying member clicks into the short form post
- Shortform posts will not generate any views, reads, or average reading time statistics from views from the profile or publication feeds. It will only generate these statistics if a reader clicks into the post.
This is consistent with all posts on Medium, regardless of length.
Distribution of shortform content
- It is not eligible for additional curated distribution at this time.
- It will not fan out to your followers Daily Digests at this time.
- It will appear in your followers feeds and in their “From your network” sections on the web and in the app
- There is no ability to set canonical links for shortform content
- To access your friend link, you need to use the 3-dot drop-down menu on the the post page itself