Shortform on Medium is a post that is 150 words or less. This excludes kickers, titles, subtitles, and image captions.
If you write a post that is 150 words or less, Medium will automatically classify that as shortform content. (You can check your word count by highlighting all the text in your draft or edit mode (excluding kicker, title, subtitle, or image caption), and the word count will appear in the top left corner.)
How is shortform content displayed on your feeds?
- If your post 150 words or less, the entire post will appear in profile and publication preview feeds. Shortform only appears on profile and beta publication feeds.
- Shortform posts will show clap and response counts in the profile and beta publication feeds.
- Readers can click the title, image, and publish date to open the full post. (We do not recommend trying to monetize posts that are less than 30 words).
Distribution of shortform content
- Shortform content only appears on profile and beta publication feeds.
- It is not eligible for additional curated distribution at this time.
- It will not fan out to your followers' Daily Digests at this time.
- To access your friend link, you need to use the three-dot menu on the the post page itself.