To show your support for a Medium post and recommend it to your followers, click or tap the clap icon 👏.
Clapping for a story will notify the author that you applauded.
To see who applauded how many times for your posts:
- Navigate to the post page.
- Click the number near the clap icon.
- You'll see a list of applauders, and how many claps each one gave.
Only a post's author can see how many claps individual users gave. Readers will see only a list of who clapped.
Claps are replacing 💚 recommends on Medium. If your posts have already been recommended, one heart will convert to one clap automatically. People can also clap for old stories.
You can remove your claps in a few different ways.
- On desktop, go to a post page, mouse over the clap button until an X appears > click the X.
- On the iOS app, navigate to the post itself, and tap the share icon (square with arrow, bottom left) > tap Undo claps.
- On the Android app, navigate to the post itself, and tap the ⋮ icon near tags at the bottom of the post > tap Undo claps.
How it works
When ranking stories, our system will evaluate claps users give out on an individual basis, assessing their applause for a particular post relative to the number of claps they typically give.
You cannot clap for your own posts.
Claps on a post are limited to 50 per user.