Your headline is the first impression of your story. Writing a great headline can be the difference between a handful of reads or orders of magnitude more. It can mean the difference between reliably growing an audience or losing integrity. Your job is to convince the reader to dive into your story, and then you must deliver. “When someone is trying to decide if they want to read a story, you don’t want them asking themselves: What does this headline mean? What is this story about? Why is this relevant? What will I learn?” shares Nadia Rawls, editorial director of growth at Medium. “You want the headline itself to be so clear that the only thing they need to ask themselves is: Am I interested in this story?”
Have more questions? Submit a request
Articles in this section
- Interested in writing on Medium? Start here.
- The Writers Newsletter: Advice and Spotlights
- Follow Medium Writers: Tips, tricks, and tools for Medium creators
- Interested in Publications? Start here.
- Submit stories to Medium’s Editorial Group
- How to Write a Headline
- Best Practices for Formatting Your Stories
- Exercises to Clarify Your Stories
- Tips from Medium Curation
- SEO Best Practices