I do not live in or I am not a citizen of the U.S. Which tax form do I fill out?

If you are not a resident or citizen of the US, you must still provide non-US based taxpayer information. This is so that we can validate that you are not a US taxpayer and that Medium does not need to report your earnings to the Internal Revenue Service. None of your earnings will be withheld.  

To find out which tax form to complete, click "Start the tax form questionnaire" in Step 2 of the form. You can also consult the IRS's W-8BEN instructions for non US. based guidance.

Please note that Medium writers should never complete Form 8233 (the tax form for personal services) as the payments you will receive from the Medium Partner Program are not classified as a personal service.

Was this article helpful?
Have more questions? Submit a request