I am a nonresident alien (non-US taxpayer). Which tax form do I fill out?

Even if you are a nonresident alien, you must provide valid non-US taxpayer information in order to earn payments through the Partner Program. This is because Medium is required to issue a 1042s tax form to nonresident aliens who earn payment by writing through the Medium Partner Program, in order to comply with US law.

To find out which tax form to complete, click "Start the tax form questionnaire" in Step 2 of the form. You can also consult the IRS's W-8BEN instructions for non US. based guidance.

We will withhold royalty taxes for all writers to send to the US government. For non-US writers (non-resident aliens that are not US taxpayers), the withholding rate is determined based on the country you filed in your W-8 tax form and any tax treaty benefits you have claimed. When filling out your taxpayer information, please include your valid taxpayer identification number (TIN) and, if you reside in one of the countries listed here, select your country of residence under the section “Claim of Treaty Benefits (Part II)”.

Note: We are not able to give advice on how or when you should file your taxes. We recommend that you contact a tax professional for any questions or recommendations.

Was this article helpful?