Who can use this feature?
This feature is only available to editors of a Medium publication.
- Learn more about getting started with a Medium publication.
- Learn more about the differences between a Medium account and a Medium publication.
- To learn how to customize your user profile page instead, see this article.
If your publication is using the beta design tools, see this article instead.
To edit your publication header:
- Go to your publication homepage and click on your publication avatar in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click Homepage & settings from the menu.
- Click the Homepage tab.
Note: Publication management features are not supported on mobile apps.
Medium offers three sizes of headers for your publication homepage: small, medium, and large.
Small headers may use title only or logo only and are left aligned.
Medium headers can include a title only, a logo only or both together, are left-aligned and may contain a background image (with a minimum width of 1500px and an aspect ratio of 8:1).
Large headers can include a title only, a logo only or both together, may be centered or left-aligned and may optionally include a background image (with a minimum dimension of 1500px wide and 750px high and an aspect ration of 2:1).
Optimum homepage logo size
We assume all publication homepage logos are retina-ready, meaning that the logo is uploaded at twice the size it will be displayed.
If you upload a 2000 px wide and 1000 px high logo, Medium interprets it as 1000 px wide and 500px tall. We do this so logos will look good on all sizes of screens.
Logos scale down to fit inside your header if they are a larger resolution than the area we dedicate to logos, but logos that are smaller than the logo area won’t scale up.
With large headers only, you can set a background image which will span horizontally across the page.
Choose L as header size, then click on Add background image to upload a high-quality photo to use as a background image for your header.
Your title and/or logo will be overlaid on your background image. For this reason, if you'd like a transparency effect, use a .PNG file with a transparent background.
Optimal background image size
While we require background images on large headers to be at least 1500px wide and 750px high, we recommend you upload the largest image you can, maintaining a 2:1 width to height ratio.
Background image focal point
To set the focal point for automatic cropping of your background image, click menu option Background image and click on the image to set focus.
Set a hex color code to use in your Medium publication by clicking on the circle next to "Color" and entering in a six digit color code (do not add the # sign).
You can also specify where the color will show up:
- Subtle: Choosing "Subtle" applies the selected color to highlights on publication posts, your publication's follow button, recommend button and author name.
- Bold: Choosing "Bold" applies the same color changes as Subtle and adds a background color to your header and top of publication posts.